[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Tue Feb 6 14:11:46 UTC 2007

Jeffery Swan wrote:
> If this is how it works (and I am assuming it is) I am thinking that to
> reduce network traffic, I should put the NAS on a seperate subnet. If
> the myth tv backend(s) have two NICs each with one NIC dedicated to the
> NAS subnet and the other for the front ends the network traffic should
> be much more stream lined.

Are you really going to use more than 100mbit of traffic?  Surely the IO
of the raid 5 will be the bottleneck - rather than your network?  Unless
HD records at higher than 12MB a sec which seems unlikely to me.

Raid 0 will improve write speeds which is available on FreeNas  - but
then no redundancy.
--
David Campbell :: www.cpfc.org