[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Jeffery Swan scientist at engineer.com
Tue Feb 6 13:53:22 UTC 2007

I am just finishing up a 1.5 TB RAID 5 NAS via the free NAS
(http://www.freenas.org/). With my limited knowledge of how MythTv
accesses the disk(s) I have the following question / suggestion.

When a front end requests a movie does the backend find it (via MySql)
and then stream it or does it pass this information to the front end? In
other words does the backend do some "processing" of the data and then
stream it to the front end?

If this is how it works (and I am assuming it is) I am thinking that to
reduce network traffic, I should put the NAS on a seperate subnet. If the
myth tv backend(s) have two NICs each with one NIC dedicated to the NAS
subnet and the other for the front ends the network traffic should be
much more stream lined.

Please send your comments and suggestions.

Thank you,
Jeff Swan