[mythtv-users] Sudden massive problems

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 4 03:00:57 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 21:15, Brian Wood wrote:

> If you really want to save what you have I'd just copy the raw files
> off to someplace, either a USB drive, an NFS-mounted drive, a tape or
> even just burn the raw files to DVD, without trying to create a
> "playable" disk.
> Then, with the files as safe as can be, start trying to figure out
> what's going on. Test the backed up files and see if they are intact,

The files (that is, the video files that are left) are intact -- they can be
played via MythTV. The problem is that MythTV is behaving increasingly
erratically, as detailed in my earlier post.

> and start testing your system to see if you have a hardware problem
> there. You might have a failing hard drive, a failing power supply,
> bad RAM - it could really be anything. You just have to start
> eliminating things one by one.

I don't think it's a hardware problem. In my experience, most hardware
problems show up either when accessing specific hardware devices or result in
fairly random crashes. These crashes aren't associated with particular
hardware and they aren't random; they occur when I try to perform certain
tasks, such as play certain files (now deleted) or access MySQL via the Web
interface. Other problems look like data corruption, probably in MySQL from
my limited understanding of how MythTV stores data other than video
recordings.

> So: save the files, fix the machine, re-install Myth and import the
> files into the new installation.

How does one import raw .nuv files into a new MythTV installation, if it comes
to that? Can I just copy the files back to the data directory, or is there
more to it than that?

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com