[mythtv-users] Sudden massive problems

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 4 02:15:55 UTC 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
> button.
>
> So, with all that out of the way, my question is: What can I do to
> recover my
> system? I'm willing to lose most of my custom settings, if that's
> necessary,
> but I do want to keep a couple of existing recordings (hence my failed
> attempt to back them up to DVD as native archives). Unfortunately,
> I hadn't
> yet gotten around to researching MySQL backups, although it was on
> my list
> for the near future. Is there some way to copy the recordings from
> the .nuv
> files over to the MythVideo area without losing quality? (I don't
> mind losing
> description data, if that's what it takes.) I'm afraid I know next
> to nothing
> about MySQL, or for that matter precisely what MythTV stores in MySQL.

I don't know what other hardware you have, so I can't be specific.

If you really want to save what you have I'd just copy the raw files
off to someplace, either a USB drive, an NFS-mounted drive, a tape or
even just burn the raw files to DVD, without trying to create a
"playable" disk.

You might even think about removing the hard drive(s) the files are
stored on and putting it (them) in another system.

In other words, save the files any way you can, which will depend on
what H/W you have hanging around or can borrow. You can always import
them into a new Myth system if you have to.

Then, with the files as safe as can be, start trying to figure out
what's going on. Test the backed up files and see if they are intact,
and start testing your system to see if you have a hardware problem
there. You might have a failing hard drive, a failing power supply,
bad RAM - it could really be anything. You just have to start
eliminating things one by one.

You might want to try booting from one of the bootable CDs that have
a collection of test routines, like:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It does sound like some sort of hardware problem, but it's hard to
say for sure.

So: save the files, fix the machine, re-install Myth and import the
files into the new installation.

That's how I'd go about it anyway.