[mythtv-users] Charter HD questions

Len Reed crunchyfrog at charter.net
Fri Feb 2 18:09:52 UTC 2007

Jeffrey Born wrote:
> The HD feed from Charter cable is delayed about a minute.  If I record a
> SD program via the guide I end up with the correct start and end, but
> with HD the ending is cut off.  Is there a way to make each recording
> work correctly without having to manually adjust the start and end time
> each time?

I think that Charter varies from place to place.  I'm in Gwinnett
County, Georgia, with Charter.

I don't see a minute delay, though.  When comparing HD and SD channels
(e.g., a sports broadcast on ABC and ABCHD), the HD runs 2-3 seconds
behind the SD.   You can set a system wide amount to add to the front of
a recording, but that will hit all channels.

> What channels should I expect to receive via the HD3000 card.  I
> currently get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and TBS.  Plus what looks like 5
> VOD channels.
> I scanned with the following:
> Frequency Table: Cable High
> ATSC Modulation: Cable (QAM-256)
> Channel Separator: (51) None
> Existing Channel Treatment: Minimal Updates

Sounds like my setup for my HD5000.  PBS is digital but never shows any
highdef in Atlanta.  I've never seen true HD on TBS-DT except sports.
The active VOD channels vary depending upon when you scan.  You're
basically snooping someone else's feed, which means if they pause or
rewind you see it.  So, it's worthless even to a potential cable thief.
  It's odd that they don't encrypt those, though, given that they
encrypt nearly everything else.

> Since that found the 6 HD channels I expected at a minimum.  I was never
> really sure if the information I listed above was correct.  Is this
> captured by local cable company anywhere?  Would this make sense to
> place in the wiki?
>
> I was hoping I would be able to get channels that required a digital
> receiver to received, but were SD.  BBC America. Nick 2, Bio, Fit TV,
> DIY, etc.  It looks like it is not possible via the HD3000 card, but
> what about via the cable box and the firewire output?  Can I capture
> everything I pay for that way?  ie Can I capture HBO this way?

Everything that's digital other than VOD and the broadcast channels is
encrypted.  It doesn't appear on the firewire: you'll see the same stuff
there as your HD3000 sees.

I capture analog channels (here, channels below 100) via a PVR250.  I
capture digital channels as analog via a cable box and its composite
video feed, to another PVR250.  So, I cannot record HBOHD, etc., in high
def. :(

Len