[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Fri Feb 2 14:09:54 UTC 2007

> Perhaps if I explain what you're trying to achieve the documents will
> make more sense.  I can't easily help because I'm not familiar with
> Ubuntu and maybe file and username are different for you.
>
> You need a user account on your machine to run mythbackend.  I guess
> most people either run their backend as root, or as a special mythtv
> user.  The important bit is that this user has access to the TV
> capture devices and the storage locations.  Provided you always start
> and stop the backend using:
>
> # /etc/init.d/mythbackend start/stop
>
> then the script will start the backend as the correct user.  It sounds
> like this bit is working for you.
>
> You need a user account on your machine to run mythfrontend.  I think
> that this can be any account that has access to the video and sound
> playback devices.  It appears that this works for you too.
>
> Both the above user accounts need to connect to the mysql database.
> This is where you seem to be coming unstuck.  For this to work you
> need to create a mysql user account called mythtv with password
> mythtv.  On my setup the mysql account gets created by running the
> mc.sql script into the database.  Something like:
>
> mysql -u root -p  < /path/to/mc.sql

Thanks for responding David, I'm feeling a bit lost here :-)

This is what happens when I run the two commands you mentioned (altered
for ubuntu)

damian at MythBox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
Stopping MythTV server: mythbackend .
damian at MythBox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
.
damian at MythBox:~$

damian at MythBox:~$ mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
Enter password: [ENTER] (for no password)
damian at MythBox:~$
Takes me back to the prompt.

I wondered if this had changed something that needed changing, so entered:
damian at MythBox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart
 and got
Restarting MythTV server: mythbackendNo /usr/bin/mythbackend found
running; none killed.
.
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
.

I then found this page
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html
which said that the command for debian (that's ubuntu right?) was:

$ mysql < mc.sql

but I've had no luck with that either.

Looked at this page .. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation and the mysql information on there. But it doesn't tie up with my system.
I don't seem to have a directory called 'database'. My mc.sql file is in /usr/share/mythtv/sql. I tried the same commands from that location but  I'm still in the same position

I'm trying to get my head around what you said about users and what maybe going on there. I'm not sure where my problem lies any more.

Thanks for helping out David!

Damian