[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 12:57:47 UTC 2007

> I followed your instructions and got this:
> mysql> select host,user,password from user;
> +-----------+------------------+------------------+
> | host      | user             | password         |
> +-----------+------------------+------------------+
> | localhost | root             |                  |
> | MythBox   | root             |                  |
> | localhost | debian-sys-maint | 4bfb03e20e6b2002 |
> +-----------+------------------+------------------+
> 3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> > Then go back and run the mysql setup script, mc.sql (the one that starts
> > 'create database if not exists mythconverg', That script creates the
> > 'mythtv' mysql user, and sets his/her/its password.
> >
> I couldn't get anywhere with the above instructions. I'm sure it's
> completely obvious to anyone who knows, but I tried following the
> instructions and it didn't get me any further.

Perhaps if I explain what you're trying to achieve the documents will
make more sense.  I can't easily help because I'm not familiar with
Ubuntu and maybe file and username are different for you.

You need a user account on your machine to run mythbackend.  I guess
most people either run their backend as root, or as a special mythtv
user.  The important bit is that this user has access to the TV
capture devices and the storage locations.  Provided you always start
and stop the backend using:

# /etc/init.d/mythbackend start/stop

then the script will start the backend as the correct user.  It sounds
like this bit is working for you.

You need a user account on your machine to run mythfrontend.  I think
that this can be any account that has access to the video and sound
playback devices.  It appears that this works for you too.

Both the above user accounts need to connect to the mysql database.
This is where you seem to be coming unstuck.  For this to work you
need to create a mysql user account called mythtv with password
mythtv.  On my setup the mysql account gets created by running the
mc.sql script into the database.  Something like:

mysql -u root -p  < /path/to/mc.sql

Good Luck