[mythtv-users] Changing encoding settings from remote

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 18:07:08 UTC 2007

On 01/02/07, k stenerud <kstenerud at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a mythtv box set up in Japan, recording lots and lots of TV shows
> which I download to watch.
>
> The problem is it encodes at about 2 gigs per hour of TV, and I only have an
> 80KBps pipeline to the box.  It worked OK at first, but now there are too
> many shows queued up and there's about 200 gigs of video clogging the
> machine now!
>
> To make matters worse, I wasn't able to set up an nx server (I'm using
> Ubuntu Edgy, which no longer has an NX build available), so I can't use the
> MythTV configuration screen.
>
> Does anybody know how to tweak the database manually to change the encoding
> parameters (I'm mainly interested in changing the bitrate, but any other
> ideas to lower the filesize would be greately appreciated!)

Editing the database directly is always risky. Essentially you need to
locate the recording profile(s) you capture cards are using, modify
them, and then restart the remote backend process with the new
settings.

Are you able to access mythfrontend over a forwarded X connection over
SSH?  That would be the easiest way to change the hardware/software
encoder settings.

You could also configure the machine to automatically transcode the
recordings to smaller files as they are made, which would result in
smaller transfers.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: