[mythtv-users] Changing encoding settings from remote

k stenerud kstenerud at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 17:59:18 UTC 2007

I have a mythtv box set up in Japan, recording lots and lots of TV shows
which I download to watch.

The problem is it encodes at about 2 gigs per hour of TV, and I only have an
80KBps pipeline to the box.  It worked OK at first, but now there are too
many shows queued up and there's about 200 gigs of video clogging the
machine now!

To make matters worse, I wasn't able to set up an nx server (I'm using
Ubuntu Edgy, which no longer has an NX build available), so I can't use the
MythTV configuration screen.

Does anybody know how to tweak the database manually to change the encoding
parameters (I'm mainly interested in changing the bitrate, but any other
ideas to lower the filesize would be greately appreciated!)