[mythtv-users] 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune

Oliver Maunder mail at olivermaunder.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 13:26:42 UTC 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 4:50 PM, Ben Firshman <ben at firshman.co.uk> wrote:

> Seemingly completely randomly, the first tuner on my Nova-T 500 card
> can't get a lock on any channel, but the second can. Well, it works for
> a while if I restart my mythtv box, then just stops getting a lock after
> a few hours/days.

I've got a similar problem. Often MythTV fails to lock onto a channel.
Restarting mythtv-backend fixes the problem.

When this happens, the Live TV screen shows "(l--)" instead of "(LMS)".

I haven't really looked at this in detail yet, but it looks like it could be
related to EIT scanning. Are you using EIT as well as XMLTV? I'm using EIT
on both my tuners, and they both fail to lock onto channels. If you're only
using EIT on Tuner 1, that could be the problem.

Are you getting lots of errors about MT2060? If I type "dmesg | grep mt2060"
in the console I get lots of entries like:

[735440.608000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.616000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.624000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.632000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.640000] mt2060 I2C read failed

I was going to try disabling EIT and setting up XMLTV instead, but I think
I'll wait until Radio Times sort out their listings!

I'll also try to put together a script which restarts the backend if none of
the tuners are being used. Running this every half hour or so might be OK as
a workaround. I'll let you know what happens.

Olly