[mythtv-users] MythTV - help please!

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Dec 25 21:09:21 UTC 2007

On Dec 25, 2007, at 12:54 PM, sa_cooke at iprimus.com.au wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Ok. I'm not going to reinstall the OS again - that has been done at
> least
> 10 times over the past year. I am over OS installs. ANd the
> attandent lib
> updates.
>
> The first problem I had with the guide was talk of static IP
> addresses. I
> KNOW what IP addresses are - but why do we need them for a TV
> content machine?
> I have ADSL delivery of internet and email content to my home, so ip
> addresses,
> static or otherwise, really have no place in the scheme of things.
> That is
> all handled 'magically' (read invisibly) for me.
>
> Steve.

ALL computers have an IP address. That's how they identify themselves
when connecting to any other computer in any way.
Based on your comments here, I would say you definitely should start
with a Myth-specific distribution that will walk you through the setup.

The installation was probably referring to the fact that you should
not be using an IP address that changes (meaning, static. Not
necessarily meaning a static internet-accessible address.) This is
important for distributed systems. However, the IP address doesn't
really matter when you have a combined frontend/backend machine which
sounds like your goal. In this case, your machine's IP address doesn't
matter. Whenever you are asked for the IP address or hostname, you
will enter 127.0.0.1 which means "this machine".