[mythtv-users] Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch

Bryan Murphy bryan.murphy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 14:04:14 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 2:09 AM, Cal <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:
> Indeed. Despite the off-topic thread hijack efforts, _only_ mythtv
> screeches. Therefore it would appear to be quite possible to solve the
> problem from a technical perspective, and mythtv's audio handling would
> appear to be doing something sub-optimal.
>
> From there, the problem is getting someone with the necessary knowledge
> interested enough to explore the issue. Now that could be difficult -
> much easier to prattle on about off-topic (but not necessarily unrelated)
> issues.
>
> I live in a rented flat featuring a common antenna and distribution system
> that's mostly good, but it suffers regular short bursts of disturbance.
> Like many others, including the OP, there's little or nothing that can be
> done to improve the signal reception and distribution, and the bottom line
> is - _only_ mythtv screeches!
>
> Cheers.

Yeah, being able to describe the problem (and point the way to
possible solutions) is also helpful.  Somebody else in this thread
mentioned the term "compander" which I had not heard before, so I've
been doing a little more research.  Who knows what doors that might
open up.  Anyway, I've done a bit of audio processing myself in the
past for my employer, so maybe when I have some more time after the
holiday, if I can't solve the problem myself, I might at least be able
to point the appropriate people in the right direction.

Bryan