[mythtv-users] Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch

Cal cal at graggrag.com
Sat Dec 22 01:46:48 UTC 2007

Bryan Murphy wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007 2:09 AM, Cal <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:
>> [ ... ] the bottom line is - _only_ mythtv screeches!
>
> Yeah, being able to describe the problem (and point the way to
> possible solutions) is also helpful.  Somebody else in this thread
> mentioned the term "compander" which I had not heard before, so I've
> been doing a little more research.  Who knows what doors that might
> open up.  Anyway, I've done a bit of audio processing myself in the
> past for my employer, so maybe when I have some more time after the
> holiday, if I can't solve the problem myself, I might at least be able
> to point the appropriate people in the right direction.

As I understand it, a compander involves dynamic compression _and_ expansion
of the dynamic range, so I'm not sure a "compander" fits the problem. It's
perhaps in the right ballpark for a bandaid fix though. For the screeches,
I think just peak limiting might be more appropriate. It's been a while since
I followed the linux-audio-users mailing list, but it might be worth exploring
their archives and floating a query there
  <http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user/>.

It's been a while since I used it, and it's relevance to our myth issue is low,
but Jamin
   <http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html>
is the only example of audio compression & limiting I'm aware of. An outstanding
application though.

Health & time permitting, I'd like to take a look at the waveform of the
screeches. That might give a clue as to whether peak limiting might ease the
impact. I suspect not though, the deeper problem is the one that counts.

Cheers.