[mythtv-users] screensaver issues

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:47:47 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 9:23 AM, Jacob Steenhagen <jacob at steenhagen.us> wrote:
> On 12/17/07, brad at bradandkim.net <brad at bradandkim.net> wrote:
> > Mythtv does prevent the screensaver from kicking in if I am using the KDE
> > screensaver.  But when I use the command line xscreensaver it does not.
> > Basically everything works great with the KDE screensaver except I cannot
> > deactivate it without using the keyboard or mouse.
> >

> I'm really curious about this as I'd like to enable a screen saver on my
> myth box. Is there maybe something that can be added to lirc's config to
> tell it that if the screen saver is the foreground app it should "press a
> key"?
>
> Also, I'm curious, does pressing a key on the remote reset the inactivity
> timeout? For example, if you had the screen saver set to go after 1 minute
> of inactivity, would it instead go 1 minute after KDE loads up irregardless
> of if you're using the remote or not?
>

> --
> http://jacob.steenhagen.us

I believe MythTV is only designed to work with xscreensaver.  For me
it just simply works.  Here's what I did.

I'm using fluxbox as a window manager.  I have the following in my
/home/mythtv/.fluxbox/startup:

[ -x /usr/bin/nvidia-settings ] && /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l
/usr/bin/xset s noblank
/usr/bin/xset s off
/usr/bin/xset -dpms
numlockx
/usr/bin/fluxbox &
/usr/bin/xscreensaver -no-splash &
sleep 2
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log -v
important,general

The xset commands disable DPMS.  Note that after I start xscreensaver
in the background, I have a 'sleep 2'.  I have the frontend login
session set to respawn in inittab.  I found that when I quit the
frontend and it respawned, it had a tendency to start the frontend
much faster than it does on initial bootup, and without that sleep
command it often started before xscreensaver was truly ready.  The
sleep command fixed that by always giving xscreensaver a chance to
start.

Using either the remote or the keyboard stops any active screen saver
and does reset the inactivity timeout.  I have mine set to three
minutes.

It works great.  I have a RPCRT TV, and I really didn't want to risk burn-in.

Tom