[mythtv-users] Trouble getting channel icons.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 17 18:15:06 UTC 2007

<fixed top posting--hint, hint ;)>

On 12/16/2007 02:12 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 12/14/2007 02:43 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>> I am trying to set up mythTV for the first time, and got to the point of
>>> trying to install the icons for the various TV stations...
>>> Where do I go from here, as I said in the
>>> beginning I am lost!
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3908
>>
>> The resync was supposed to have been done for 0.20-fixes (as trunk users
>> don't need a master_iconmap.xml), but it seems Chris didn't realize that
>> or felt it didn't qualify as a fix.  However, you can simply download
>> the master_iconmap.xml from trunk and use it:
>>
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/export/15162/trunk/mythtv/contrib/icons/master_iconmap/master_iconmap.xml
>>
>> Make sure you reset your channel icons (as in the command line in the
>> ticket description) to clean out any garbage that got in from your
>> previous attempts at importing icons.
> Thanks Michael for your help, but I am still not getting the icons for
> the various TV stations! :-(  I used the master_iconmap.xml file that
> the link you gave supplied me with, reset the database as described in
> the bug report and that didn't give me the icons. So I decided to do
> the update as well and still no joy. Both scripts seem to run fine
> without any error reports. Ideas?

There are several things that may be an issue.  Most importantly, for
the master_iconmap.xml import to work properly, the callsign of the
channel in your DB must match the callsign in master_iconmap.xml.  You
can simply change the callsign of channels in your DB using the
mythtv-setup or MythWeb channel editor.  Callsign is only used as a
means of telling channels apart--so as long as different channels have
different callsigns, the exact value is unimportant.

Also, the thread referenced in the ticket to which I pointed you is
/very/ important.  I highly recommend reading through (or at least
scanning through) all the posts starting with my post referenced in the
ticket (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286366#286366 ).  The
most important posts are:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286366#286366
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286366#286366
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294101#294101
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294497#294497

Note that--as mentioned (though not explicitly) in the second post
listed above (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286408#286408 ),
after you do the reset that the ticket requests, you won't have icons in
the DB.  However, you /will/ have a proper icon map.  That means that
the next time mythfilldatabase runs, it will get the icons for you and
put them into the channels subdirectory of the MYTHCONFDIR and update
the database to refer to the icons in the proper directory.  If you're
trying to put the icons somewhere besides ~/.mythtv/channels (of the
user running mythfilldatabase--which, if you're running the
backend/mythfilldatabase as root and the frontend as mythtv, or
something, would not be a good location), do as suggested in the third
post ( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294101#294101 ).

and, FYI (so you're not worried about how difficult this is):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294299#294299

And, if you'd like to make things a bit easier for the next person, take
notes as you go through the process and write up an approach (including
all the appropriate info) in the wiki.

Thanks,
Mike