[mythtv-users] Migrating FC6 -> KnoppMyth: Wireless network setup?

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:19:23 UTC 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 4:35 PM, Fred Firestine <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I previously had a FC6 system installed using Jarod's guide. I am
> reinstalling using the latest KnoppMyth CD. The install worked great,
> including LIRC and PVR-350 TV out, which is a big time-saver.
>
> The problem: My system connects to the network using a wireless
> connection. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to set up wireless
> networking in KnoppMyth. I have done some searches for wireless
> network config related to KnoppMyth and Knoppix, but I haven't found
> much. I see in ifconfig -a that it has detected ath0 and wifi0
> devices. I have poked around some of the config files, but I was
> hoping someone more familiar could provide some config information. Is
> there a GUI for network configuration? BTW, I will also need to enter
> a WEP key.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Fred

I answered my own question, after much searching, thanks to the following link:

http://www.schoenke.com/tyler/linux/KnoppMyth_Install.html

My ath0 card was detected, so what I did was

 cd /etc/network/
cp -p interfaces interfaces.bak
vi interfaces
Add the following lines to the end of the interfaces file:
iface eth0 ath0 inet dhcp

or to set a static address:

iface ath0 inet static
address 192.168.1.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless_essid my_essid
wireless_key my_wireless_key
wireless_channel 7

change the auto line to automatically start the eth0 interface:
auto lo eth0 ath0
# ifup ath0

I also found this discussion of the wlcardconfig command to be useful
for a quick test (not persistent after reboot):

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7804

Soldiering on...

Fred