[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:26:02 UTC 2007

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 10:33 PM, raphy <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2007 3:40 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Did anybody (else) notice the Woot branded version of this device on
>>> Woot a few days ago?
>> I'm trying to go down this route right now. If you look around on the
>> net you'll find a few people here and there who have it working. A few
>> have it working with mythtv. I have ATSC TV working and can view dvb
>> with sound in mplayer using "mplayer dvb://"
>> I can tune channels using azap and scanned using scan from dvb-utils.
>> DVB in kaffiene doesn't work. In mythtv I can't add any channels. It
>> refuses to parse my channels.conf file. Basically that's where I'm
>> stuck.
> I'm in much the same place -- I got as far as scanning for channels in
> my area (25 miles west of Boston, MA) to create a channels.conf file,
> being able to use mplayer to look at each of them, and finding that
> channel 2, PBS, is the only one that I can receive reliably with the
> omni antenna that came with the stick sitting on the couch next to me.
>  (Yes, I was doing this while watching live TV on the regular set :-))
>  I have high hopes of spending some more time on this effort later
> this week.
>
> For those who follow after and dig this email up out of an archive
> someplace (gossamer threads is a great place for finding stuff like
> this), I've been following the instructions given at
> http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php/Em2880 on MythBuntu running on a
> woefully underpowered very old laptop.
>
> --wpd

Yes, in my last post I mentioned that the latest svn in trunk works well
with the tuner. I'll also add that a 1.6 GHz Athlon-XP-m (which actually
uses the K8 core with 64bit disabled) is enough to play 1080i with 80%
processor usage without any skips or problems. This is what I have on my
laptop.
If your tuner is working to watch dvb with sound in mplayer, it will
work in the latest mythtv based on my experience. It did not work with
0.20.2 release version. You'll probably have more luck with a bigger
antenna.
Also forgot to mention: it looks like the em28xx that works with this
stick is not compatible with the PVR cards from Hauppage. A few people
including me have a hanging boot problem after installing the em28xx
drivers. Physically removing both my PVR-150's from the machine cause
the machine to boot normally. It's bad news for most people, but for me
it doesn't matter since my analog reception is literally unwatchable on
all channels ever since I canceled cable.