[mythtv-users] OT: Interesting use of automated search of CC text

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 11 03:19:04 UTC 2007

George Mari wrote:
> I found this article on a commercial DVR product that automates search
> of CC text:
>
> http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2007-12/snapstream-unleashes-godzilla-pc-dvr-for-big-business/
>
> The article and/or video mentions how some organizations are using it to
> see how often their products are mentioned, or how you can search for
> mentions of certain people or issues, seemingly for commercial benefit,
> I was trying to think of any potential use of this type of ability that
> would benefit consumers?

I believe there was some sort of device that purported to blank the
audio in case of "undesired" content. I think it used caption
information to identify content.

I've never seen this box, and I question how effective it could be,
since the delay between the caption text and the audio is so variable.

> P.S. - I am not trying to denigrate MythTV in any way.  I have been a
> user for over 2 years now, and am very happy with it.

I can't see how anything you said could possibly be interpreted as
denigrating Myth, or anything else.

Thanks for the pointer.

beww