[mythtv-users] Problems with audio/video with HD content

William Munson w.munson at comcast.net
Mon Dec 10 10:47:26 UTC 2007

MythTV wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been running mythtv since about 2004 quite happily but I am now
> struggling with digital video content.
>
> The problem I am having is with different HD content from my HDHomerun.
>   For example, I have some HD channels that appear to be progressive
> scan @60 frames that play beautifully with no stuttering.  Others though
> that appear to be SD content, stutter terribly.  In the playback logs I
> see messages like:
>

>                         doubling video frame interval to slow down.
> 2007-12-09 12:32:58.926 NVP: Video is 4.31844 frames ahead of audio,
>                         doubling video frame interval to slow down.
>
> Here is the full log: http://www.blandford.net/mythtv/playback.log
>
> In the logs, you can see depending on the channel, some times it is 4-5
> frames and other times is is 30 frames per second.
>
> I currently have a backend with a pvr-500 and a HDHomerun.
>
> I also have multiple frontends, each with nvidia 6150 or 6200 cards.
> The displays are using the nvidia selection of 1280x720_60 connected via
> DVI to a TV or flat screen monitor.  I am running the nvidia 110.14.11
> driver since anything newer causes problems.
>
> I am running trunk 14921 with the cpu++ profile, but I have had this
> problem since I purchased the HDHomerun.  Initially I was running .20
> with bob deinterlace.
>
> I am guessing there is just a setting that I need to configure, but I
> really just don't understand what needs to be done.
>
> I am looking for some guidance on how to tackle this problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Different resolutions require different amounts of processing power and
its very easy to have a bottle-neck somewhere else in your system. You
do not mention any info on your processor/memory so its hard to even
know where to begin. Like on my system, I cannot play live tv from the
hdhr even though the processor is only running at ~30%. There is some
other issue I have not been able to figure out. Record that same program
(by pressing R while watching it) and I can play the file while its
recording with no issues. I suspect its an issue with svn trunk rather
than my system.