[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

William Munson w.munson at comcast.net
Sun Dec 9 12:57:51 UTC 2007

Steve Vanspall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this has been asked a few times but without any real answer, so i
> thought i'd spell out my situation.
>
> I have my mythbackend (which also runs a front end) running in my living
> room using a g wireless network card to a router.
>
> My laptop is also on a wireless network card to the same router.
>
> When i try to watch tv or play pre-recorded tv the playback pauses every
> 10 seconds or so, like the buffer runs out too early.
>
> So question 1, is this the problem, how do i find out
>
> 2. is there any way to increase the buffer size. although thinking about
> it that may not work will just wait longer to pause
>
> also i run windows on the same laptop. I use Mythtvplayer (a windows
> program that connects to my frontend and lets me play pre-recorded tv
> shows). It streams without a problem. To my understanding it connects
> the same way but only allows me to play prerecorded tv.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Simple answer. Your wireless G card does not have the bandwidth or
latency to stream tv signals. Even with the laptop setting right next
the router I cannot smoothly stream lo-def tv and cannot even come close
to playing HD material over wireless with a G card. I am not sure that
one of the wireless N systems will help as its latency is just as bad,
only the bandwidth increases. You might be able to find one of the
optimized dual channel bonded models however you will need to dig deep
into your wallet if you want one.