[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 7 23:35:29 UTC 2007

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Looks like 500 true blue gigabytes to me. I got one and was not too happy to
> see only 466GB. That's 12 mpeg-2 hours of recordings on my mythbox that I
> was shorted.
>
> Not the end of the world, but one might buy the seagate 500GB drive cause
> it's $5 cheaper than a western digital one, when in fact the western digital
> drive may give you 500GB and not 466GB (just an example, I don't know if
> Western Digital is doing the same thing or not, but that's the idea)

Guess we need "unit pricing" as at the supermarkets, with the cost per
byte listed.

Unfortunately the makers play games with other specs as well, like
telling you a SATA-300 drive is "twice as fast" as a SATA-150, which is
totally untrue, the fastest SATA drives on the market today use the 150
interface.

Or telling you that USB 2.0 is "Faster" than firewire 400, which is also
not true for any sustained transfer.

Caveat Emptor, always.

beww