[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Fri Dec 7 23:30:52 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brad DerManouelian
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 3:21 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

On Dec 7, 2007, at 3:15 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>  It's like getting caught in a speed trap.
>>>

>> When you're driving the speed limit, as posted in MPH--say 60MPH--and
>> the police officer says you're doing 96.56064 because he has his
>> speed
>> gun set to display in KPH.
>
> I think that argument goes both ways.  Seagate picked the figures that
> looked best on the box, instead of using the units people are used to
> seeing and assume will be used.
>
> It's like going past a sign in Canada that says 'SPEED LIMIT 100' at
> 100 mph, then arguing you're not breaking the law because your
> speedometer reads in miles per hour.

That's why the speed limit signs ALWAYS accurately specify the unit of
measurement. So should anything with an expected capacity.

Check this link out:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2
479473&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Looks like 500 true blue gigabytes to me. I got one and was not too happy to
see only 466GB. That's 12 mpeg-2 hours of recordings on my mythbox that I
was shorted.

Not the end of the world, but one might buy the seagate 500GB drive cause
it's $5 cheaper than a western digital one, when in fact the western digital
drive may give you 500GB and not 466GB (just an example, I don't know if
Western Digital is doing the same thing or not, but that's the idea)

-Steve