[mythtv-users] UPnP browsers for Linux..

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 20:28:59 UTC 2007

On 12/5/2007, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>On 12/05/2007 01:08 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

>> Someone told me about a bug in our UPnP where preview files were being

>> shown in the video browsing. But I don't have any UPnP browser to verify

>> this bug report with. A google found some MS Windows software, but I

>> don't have any MS Windows boxes to play with. Is there a UPnP browser

>> for Linux out there I can use to see what MythTV is advertising?

>There are some listed at

>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/UPnP#UPnP-client_software: (yes,

>the colon is actually the last char of the URI) , but I haven't used any

>of them, so I can't vouch for any.  GeeXboX might be a nice easy one

>(LiveCD) that doesn't even require messing with your system config.

>HTH,

>Mike

Geexbox is fine, but it just uses djmount anyway so if you have an

existing setup its just as easy to install djmount and run that. Its as

simple as:

mkdir upnp

sudo djmount -o allow_other upnp/

then browse to the directory you made (in this case upnp which is the

mount point). all upnp servers on your network will be under that

directory (it sometimes takes a little while to scan the network and for

the dirctories to appear).

here are the first two levels on my machine:

nick at sf ~/media/upnp $ ls -l

total 1

-r--r--r-- 1 root root  30 Jan  2  2000 devices

dr-xr-xr-x 7 root root 512 Jan  2  2000 media: MythTV AV Media Server

nick at sf ~/media/upnp $ ls -l media\:\ MythTV\ AV\ Media\ Server/

total 2

dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 512 Jan  2  2000 Music

dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 512 Jan  2  2000 Recordings

dr-xr-xr-x 7 root root 512 Jan  2  2000 Videos

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 512 Jan  2  2000 _search