[mythtv-users] fetching channels from listings source

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Aug 30 14:41:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 10:10 -0400, Larry Sanderson wrote:
> I found some time last night to upgrade my myth system to 20.2 and point
> it at schedules-direct.  Everything went well considering I did a
> kernel upgrade at the same time.  The only hiccup I ran in to was when
> I was attempted to fetch the channels from the listing source.
>
> I have 2 lineups at schedules-direct - one for basic cable, and one for
> OTA (nice interface, by the way).  My backend has 4 tuners - 2
> HD-5500's for OTA digital and a Hauppage PVR-500 for basic analog
> cable.
>
> In mythtv-setup, I was able to use the "Fetch channels from listings
> source" for the cable lineup, but not for the local broadcast.  Any
> reasons why this would be so?  It was not a big deal at all - I was
> able to scan for channels just fine; I'm just wondering why it didn't
> work.

For most digital tuners the tuning information we get from "Fetch.."
is not sufficient for tuning, so it never adds any channels, the
most it does is update the XMLTVID and other station info after you
have scanned for channels.

Theoretically, "Fetch.." could get tuning information for OTA ATSC,
but no one has written the code to handle that exception to the
general rule. And hopefully SD will be providing more tuning
information in the future than Labs did.

-- Daniel