[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup and X forward

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 03:42:37 UTC 2007

On 8/29/07, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
> Hello, I tried to do "ssh -X <hostname>"
> I typed in a command to run and it showed up on the screen of the computer I
> was logged into, and not on my screen. Any ideas? (btw, x was running on
> that computer, not sure if that makes a difference)

Your DISPLAY variable was probably set for the localhost instead of
the remote host that you are logging in from.  X programs look at the
DISPLAY environment variable to see where they should be displayed.

You can use a bash script to forward your display like so:

#!/bin/sh
# Export DISPLAY to SSH client
SSH_IP=$(env |grep SSH_CLIENT | cut -d "=" -f 2 |cut -d " " -f 1)
DISPLAY=$SSH_IP:0.0
export DISPLAY

--
Joe Ripley