[mythtv-users] more mytharchive problems (sorry for private message)

Jeff Campbell jeff.campbell at jax.org
Tue Aug 28 21:21:04 UTC 2007

 After reinstalling mythbuntu 7.10 for like the fourth time and setting
the permission for my archive directory I am again back at the growisofs

This is what it says in the README:

2. The script fails with "ERROR: Failed while running growisofs." message.
	The most likely cause of the error is insufficient file permissions on the
	cdrom device. Make sure the user that is running the script can both read
	and write to the device that you use to burn DVDs.
	How you do that is dependent on how your distribution sets things up.
It may
	be sufficient to add the user to the 'cdrom' group. You may also have to
	relax the permissions on the device itself to allow the cdrom group
	read/write access to it.

Well that is fine if I knew how to check/modify permissions for the
cdrom device. They are not talking about the /dev/cdrom are they? I
think I know how to make sure the mythtv user is in the 'cdrom' group
but I have no idea how to relax permissions on the device itself.
 Another interesting think I noticed is if I use the eject command for
dvd or cdrom it opens the door of the dvd drive, using eject cdrom1
opens the cdrom door. I don't know ubuntu well enough to understand that
or if that is normal.