[mythtv-users] more mytharchive problems (sorry for private message)

Jeff Campbell jeff.campbell at jax.org
Tue Aug 28 21:21:04 UTC 2007

Lukas,

 After reinstalling mythbuntu 7.10 for like the fourth time and setting
the permission for my archive directory I am again back at the growisofs
error.

This is what it says in the README:

2. The script fails with "ERROR: Failed while running growisofs." message.
164
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L164>
165
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L165>

166
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L166>
	The most likely cause of the error is insufficient file permissions on the
167
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L167>
	cdrom device. Make sure the user that is running the script can both read
168
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L168>
	and write to the device that you use to burn DVDs.
169
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L169>

170
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L170>
	How you do that is dependent on how your distribution sets things up.
It may
171
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L171>
	be sufficient to add the user to the 'cdrom' group. You may also have to
172
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L172>
	relax the permissions on the device itself to allow the cdrom group
173
<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythplugins/mytharchive/README#L173>
	read/write access to it.

Well that is fine if I knew how to check/modify permissions for the
cdrom device. They are not talking about the /dev/cdrom are they? I
think I know how to make sure the mythtv user is in the 'cdrom' group
but I have no idea how to relax permissions on the device itself.
 Another interesting think I noticed is if I use the eject command for
dvd or cdrom it opens the door of the dvd drive, using eject cdrom1
opens the cdrom door. I don't know ubuntu well enough to understand that
or if that is normal.

Jeff