[mythtv-users] Near Ultrasonic Noise - PVR150

Matt Gibson diwelf at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:02:39 UTC 2007

Hi Guys,

I have a weird recurring issue with my mythbox (combined
backend/frontend). The temperature in the box seems fine, but I get
this very high pitched noise coming from it every now and again. It's
highly irritating.

If I listen to the back of the case, the noise sounds to come from the
power supply, however if I remove the case, it sounds more like it's
coming from the PVR150 or Nvidia Card I have in there.

In order to stop the noise, what I have done is got a stand up floor
fan, and laid it down on the ground behind the server pointing
directly into the air vents. This seems to stop the noise.

Has anyone else experienced this with their cards? or know if there's
some kind of fan that will fit in a PCI slot that I can direct down on
the PVR? Obviously a fan laying behind the computer isn't the most
elegant solution and my girlfriend is getting annoyed looking at it :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt