[mythtv-users] Sound issues

Jarett Creason nobleiceman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:23:38 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I created an asound.conf file from the example at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#How_do_I_do_this_in_Fedora_Core,
> making sure that my device ID was changed for the digital portion (the
> IEC958) in the file, but things are still weird.  I can use aplay on a wav
> file from the command line, and I can run xine to play an mp3, but when I
> setup the settings in Myth according to the recommendations at that link, I
> still can't hear anything (the part talking about "Audio output device"
> about 3 paragraphs above the "Questions and Answers" heading).  I get
> nothing in both Analog and Digital.
>
> In Myth, under Utilities/Setup->General in the Audio section, I have my
> "Audio output device" set to ALSA:multi and the "Passthrough output device"
> set to ALSA:digital, according to the writeup.  I also have "Enable AC3 to
> SPDIF passthrough" and "Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough" checked.  I hear
> nothing when I try to play a song out of MythMusic from a CD that I ripped
> down.  It's in ogg format if that matters.  That was the default format when
> it was ripped.
>
> Let me know what other information you need.  I'm still frustrated, but
> now I know that at least my onboard audio works, but I'm still missing a big
> piece of the puzzle.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

How are you outputting the sound?  You said it's your onboard audio, is it
outputted via a stereo plug(s), or it coax or digital?

Try setting the  "Audio output device" to "ALSA:default" and the same for
the "Passthrough output device".   Then uncheck  both of the SPDIF
options...  That's what I had to do at least.

Jarett