[mythtv-users] Sound issues

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:12:03 UTC 2007

On 8/21/07, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> OK, I just installed my original sound card from my old PC (a Soundblaster
> 128 PCI card), disabled the onboard sound, and re-ran the same test (looped
> the test sound in Soundcard Detection and muted/unmuted via alsamixer).
> This works when the test sound plays, but if I play something else (like an
> ogg sound file), I get nothing.  No sound at all.
>
> What the hell is so difficult here?  What am I missing?

This might be way out in left field, but have you tried playing the
audio using 'aplay' instead of mplayer?  I don't think aplay will work
on OGG files, but it will play WAV files.

The only reason I suggest it, is perhaps mplayer isn't using the ALSA
soundcard driver.  aplay uses ALSA exclusively.

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com