[mythtv-users] Is there a tuner limit? (problem with >8 tuners)

Janne Grunau janne-mythtvusers at grunau.be
Tue Aug 21 19:26:23 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 17:57:20 Chris Wilkie - NetrinoUK wrote:

> > > I'm also using the PAE kernel in order to make use of the 16GB
> >
> > Are the Xeons 64-bit cappable? If yes, you should use a
> > 64-bit system PAE is a dirty workaround. BTW I hope the
> > server has more to do than recording and serving recordings.
> > A single dual core with 2gb memory is already oversized for
> > this task. The only benefit your big iron may have (I wasn't
> > able to find docs for a HP DL720) is that it has more than
> > one PCI bus.
>
> I've no idea - as I said before, hardware isn't really my thing.
> They're 2.5GHz Xeons with 2MB cache, that's all I know.

Probably not. The DL740 is pretty old.

> Apologies, looks like I typo'd the model number.  It's a DL740.  As
> above, I've no idea about PCI buses, but I can't see 12 x 35MBit
> Mux's being a huge problem.

While a single stream 50MB/s wouldn't be a problem it's could be
different with 6 stream and the same overall bandwidth.
But if I interpret the DL740 specifications correctly the 6 PCI slots
use 3 busses.

> > > Now the problem I'm having is write speed on the disk array.
> > > When
> >
> > How is the disk-array connected? through a PCI
> > card/controller on the same bus as the Novas?
>
> It's an onboard controller, but I'm told it connects via the PCI bus.
> The hardware guys here are also telling me the issue is down to the
> write cache, so we might have to mount up the video folder from the
> attached storage server via NFS.  All the media will end up on it
> anyway, but I was planning on keeping thw raw mpeg on local disks and
> only dumping the re-coded files down to storage.  If it solves the
> problem though, there's plenty of space.

If you're using mythtv trunk it might be better to use the discs
individually.
If the network storage works better than the internal controller I would
suspects a driver or hardware problem.

Janne