[mythtv-users] Aus Specific - Foxtel Channel Logos

Joel Michael joel at gimps-r-us.com
Tue Aug 21 10:10:49 UTC 2007

Kevin Saenz wrote:
> A little off topic here how do you get to view Foxtel through Mythtv? or
> a TV capture card?
> I have a fusionHDTV capture card, and a standard satellite Foxtel set
> top box.

The only way is to capture the analogue signal coming out of the Foxtel
STB now.  Foxtel used to support Irdeto access control on their signal,
but they have stopped that now for a system that they pretty much
control, and for which no CAMs are available.

The other option you may want to investigate is to ditch Foxtel and
subscribe to SelecTV instead.  All you need is a working DVB-S card
(easy to find) that has a working CI slot (harder to find), and a
working Irdeto CAM (not that hard to find, but can be tricky).  Then you
re-point your dish from OptusC1 to Intelsat8 (or pay a bloke to do it
for you), and fork out for a subscription.  You will receive the
subscriber card a few days later (or with the bloke that's re-pointing
your dish), and once you activate it, all the SelecTV channels appear
the same way as all the DVB-T free-to-air channels you have.

There's a little bit more to it than that, but the mailing list archives
know about it as I've described the setup before.

You just have to decide if the lower cost but fewer channels interests
you.  It interested me, as I'm interested in the National Geographic and
Discovery channels (and all the Anime and other crazy stuff like Sealab
2021 on Cartoon Network), and the movie channels thrown in with the
basic subscription are a real bonus.

If you want to know more about SelecTV that the mailing list archives
don't know about, feel free to ask me.  My setup is working pretty much
perfectly now, and has a reasonably high WAF ;-)

(and in case you're wondering, no, I don't work for SelecTV or WIN
Television, I'm just a very happy customer)