[mythtv-users] Installing/Compiling a backend only machine

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 21 03:08:37 UTC 2007

On 08/20/2007 04:14 PM, Joacim J wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have started to refactor my MythTV infrastructure. The step 1 plan
> is to have:
> - 1 MythTV backend on my existing server (AMD Athlon 64 X2 based with
> Kubuntu Feisty)
> - 1 High-end MythTV frontend HTPC in the home cinema  (AMD Athlon64
> based with Kubuntu Feisty)
> - 1 Low-end MythTV frontend Living room HTPC (VIA EPIA based) (not yet
> exist)
>
> Now I am in the step of setting up the the backend and wonder what
> options I should have defined to get the most flexible backend.
> Using MythTV SVN (Revision 14230).
>
> From earlier (all-in-one) setups I have used:
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/mythtv_svn_r14230 --enable-lirc
> --enable-audio-alsa --enable-dvb --enable-proc-opt --enable-firewire
> --enable-libdts
>
> But since it's a backend I should maybe:
> - disable lirc

Your choice.

> - disable ALSA/OSS support

Never disable OSS on Linux systems.  ALSA is up to you, but doesn't hurt
(in case you ever start running the frontend that you compile on that
system).

> - disable DTS

Your choice.

> What configure options would you recommend for a backend??
>
> When running the configure as above I get a number of
> "cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory"
>
> Is this anything to worry about?

Of itself, no.  However, it's likely the person who tested that portion
of the configure script (just guessing that it's "has_library") didn't
test the case where /etc/ld.so.conf.d exists but is empty (or he would
likely have hidden the error output), so it's possible.  Testing,
reading configure's code, and--if necessary--submitting a patch would be
much appreciated.

And, although you didn't mention doing it "the wrong way", so you
probably already know the right way, I just want to mention for anyone
else reading this thread that a "backend only" machine is a machine on
which both the frontend and the backend are compiled and installed, but
only the backend is executed.

Mike