[mythtv-users] New Mac Mini as frontend

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Sat Aug 18 07:53:26 UTC 2007

>I know I might be repeating some of my questions but it is truly needed.
>I'm on my way to buy the new mac mini and use as frontend.
>
>Now, does anyone know if the Hauppauge PVR-500 remote works under OS X
>in some way or do I have to install a linux system in order to get this
>to work?
>
>Also, any tips on how to get the video signal to 2 displays without
>having to change cables all the time? Projector and LCD TV that is?
>
>If anyone has experience with the mac mini as frontend, please tell me
>your solution for a remote.
>
>Regards Seb

I haven't got a PVR-500 remote, but if it is similar to the
Microsoft/eHome MCE remote then I don't know any way to currently use
it with OS X.  I have the standard MCE remote, and while the receiver
can be used (with Mira or Remote Buddy) the remote itself has no
drivers (yet).

I've just been using a G4 mini for a frontend with OS X, which I've
just replaced with an Intel Mini. On the G4 I used the Apple Remote,
with a MCE USB receiver and Remote Buddy.  With the Intel mini, I'm
using the Apple remote and no extra software (although I might go
back to Remote Buddy for the extra options/launching apps/force
quitting/etc)

Linux might be your only option at this point in time...

  - Wade