[mythtv-users] MythArchive errors out with dvdauthor

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 02:16:27 UTC 2007

Matt wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Joe Ripley <vitaminjoe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/16/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tried again yesterday with current SVN... I still get the "Cannot jump
>>> to chapter" issue.  Again, it seems there are lots of folks I can find
>>> via google who have run into this issue, but can't seem to find a fix.
>>>  Anyone out there have any ideas?
>> I had this exact same problem when I tried to use dvdauthor on files
>> that were transcoded to MPEG2 by mencoder.  The problem has something
>> to do with mal-formatted mpeg2 files... I think.
>> I was attempting to use MythArchive's "Don't re-encode" option to save
>> time, however, all I got was that same error.  To fix it, I had to use
>> one of the other Encoder Profiles (i.e. SP, LP, etc.).  This forces
>> MythArchive to re-encode the video.  After that, the problem went
>> away.  As far as I know, MythArchive uses ffmpeg to transcode, and it
>> seems to do a better job than anything else when used with dvdauthor.

I'm late to this thread so pardon me if I misunderstand. I burn videos 
recorded on mythtv to DVD with dvdauthor. To do so, I first process the 
video with 'mythtranscode --mpeg2'. Then I demux and remux the audio and 
video with this script:



tcextract -i ${infile} -x mpeg2 > movie.m2v
tcextract -i ${infile} -x mp3 -a 0 > movie.mp3
mplex -f 8 -o "${outfile}" movie.m2v movie.mp3

If I don't do both steps in this order, frequently dvdauthor errors out 
when processing the video.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Robinson

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list