[mythtv-users] Frequent backend crashing

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 12:10:54 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/08/07, Jeff Bevis <jbevis at 4access-comm.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen a few threads on backend crash problems, so I thought I'd add
> > my info to the heap.  I have not been able to diagnose this problem for
> > some months now, despite quite a bit of hunting through this list.  I
> > have set up a cron job to periodically check for the dead backend and
> > restart it within a few minutes.  When this happens the restart script
> > appends a message "BACKEND DEAD - RESTARTING" to the mythbackend.log so
> > I know that it has corrected a dead backend situation.  Any ideas/clues
> > how to test this problem further are greatly appreciated.  It is
> > probably my #2 biggest myth problem at the moment, and would love to
> > figure it out.
>
> Are you sure all MythTV machines/clients on the network are using the
> same version of the software?
>
> Are you using the internal MythTV file streaming for access to remote
> files, or are you storing your recordings (mythbackends) and accessing
> them (mythfrontends) over NFS or similar (which it looks like with
> your /mnt/store recording dir?
>
> > 2007-08-08 09:33:17.402 Unknown file transfer socket: 0
> > BACKEND DEAD - RESTARTING
>
> As your crashes all seem to be relating to file transfers between
> hosts, I would start investigating here.
>
> --
> Nick

I think I have the same problem on my mythtv setup.  I have a backend
(ubuntu 7.10 edgy) and a couple of networked frontends (ubuntu
8.04feisty).  The backend will sometimes crash while watching live TV.
 When it
crashes the backend log looks a lot like what Jeff Bevis posted.  I think it
happens when one program ends and another begins.  I never use the "watch
live TV" function so I have never actually seen it crash.  But my other
users see it happen a lot.

Jeff, Could you post your cron script that you wrote?  Right now sometimes
my MythTV users will crash the backend and it will sit idle until I get home
and restart it.  Having a script that will check and restart the backend
every five minuets would be great.