[mythtv-users] Frequent backend crashing

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:27:05 UTC 2007

On 17/08/07, Jeff Bevis <jbevis at 4access-comm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen a few threads on backend crash problems, so I thought I'd add
> my info to the heap.  I have not been able to diagnose this problem for
> some months now, despite quite a bit of hunting through this list.  I
> have set up a cron job to periodically check for the dead backend and
> restart it within a few minutes.  When this happens the restart script
> appends a message "BACKEND DEAD - RESTARTING" to the mythbackend.log so
> I know that it has corrected a dead backend situation.  Any ideas/clues
> how to test this problem further are greatly appreciated.  It is
> probably my #2 biggest myth problem at the moment, and would love to
> figure it out.

Are you sure all MythTV machines/clients on the network are using the
same version of the software?

Are you using the internal MythTV file streaming for access to remote
files, or are you storing your recordings (mythbackends) and accessing
them (mythfrontends) over NFS or similar (which it looks like with
your /mnt/store recording dir?

> 2007-08-08 09:33:17.402 Unknown file transfer socket: 0
> BACKEND DEAD - RESTARTING

As your crashes all seem to be relating to file transfers between
hosts, I would start investigating here.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/