[mythtv-users] A few things that aren't quite right

lifter89 at comcast.net lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 15 23:59:17 UTC 2007

OK, I am to the point where I'm stumped a little bit, so I was hoping that some of you good people would be able to offer some assistance.  I just re-setup my MythTV setup using Mythdora 4.0 after getting a new nVidia GeForce 7100 GS card (and having some trouble getting the X-Server to run; thanks to Javier @ ATRpms.net!!), and I'm having a few quircky issues that I just can't seem to get resolved.

Here goes:

1)  I have my main cable connection from the wall split into 2 lines:  one to my Comcast Motorola 6412 and the other to my pcHDTV 5500 capture card on my Myth box.  I have 2 Zap2It accounts (1 for analog; 1 for Digital).  I can only get 5 or 6 channels to show up on the Digital when I scan for channels, and all of the analog channels timeout.  I have my pcHDTV card setup according to an article I found in the Wiki concerning setting it up as a DVB card, then setting up the Analog options via the "Analog options" button in the setup.

2)  When I select "Watch TV", I get the first Digital channel to show up as channel 103, but it is really local channel 23, which is very odd.  I can use the number pad to change channels, but no matter what channel I change to, I get no sound.  This issue is two-fold:  Why won't many channels show up in my original scan, and why do I get no sound?

3) If I go to "Listen to Music", I can setup a play list from a CD that I ripped down, but I can't get any sound at all on my stereo, either via my standard Audio Out port on my sound card or the SPDIF optical out from my motherboard.  I have them both running to my Onkyo receiver into the Video 2 input.  When I exit out of Myth and test the sound via the "Soundcard Detection" mechanism, I can hear the test sounds perfectly.

(Are you tired yet? ;-) )

4) My pcHDTV card came with an S-Video type connector cable with an IR receiver, S-Video out, RCA Video out, and Audio out.  I have the Audio out connected to my motherboard's soundcard Audio Input, and the RCA Video Out to my AV1 input on my TV.  When I switch my TV input to AV1, I get a blank screen.  Any ideas on how I can get the TV signal out to my TV?  I'd have to think that I have to switch my TV input to the PC mode every time I wanna do something with my Myth box.

5)I bought a Logitech Harmony 550 remote so I could tackle putting all of my devices (cable box, Myth box, TV, DVD Recorder, and Onkyo receiver) onto 1 remote.  I know that the pcHDTV card came with an IR receiver with it's bundled S-Video out cable, and I read that it's currently not supported.  What do I have to do to get lirc going to be able to use this remote?  It looks really cool, and I think it will be great once I get it working, but getting it to that point with Myth looks like a big challenge.

Thanks in advance,
Harry