[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: Internal Player, mplayer or Xine which is prefered?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:59:31 UTC 2007

>From: "Anthony Giggins"
>Hey People,
>I recently upgraded from Mythdora 3.2 to 4.0 and have had some issues with
>Xine not playing the audio from some XVID avi's but it is working from
>others all of these are using MP3 audio at 128 bit rate. these worked fine
>in version 3.2 which used mplayer by default I believe.
>So this has raised the question which is prefered by everyone for
>mythvideo playback Xine, mplayer or the Internal Player? and what are the
>pros and cons of each? I've looked around the wiki and have not really
>found the information I was looking for.
>Thank You

I use xine for just about everything.  I have wmv files set to use mplayer,
thought I virtually never watch them in mythtv.  I've experimented a little
with mkv files and mplayer seems to handle some that xine won't.

I'm running mythtv 0.20.1 and I'm sure the internal player in SVN is much
better than what I have.  xine just supports so many codecs and formats.

I know you didn't specifically ask about DVDs, but I use xine for DVDs as
well as VIDEO_TS, iso, and img DVDs.  One big advantage of this is being
able to use the tvtime deinterlace post processing.  When I first started
watching DVDs in mythtv, I noticed that some DVDs had some pretty nasty
tearing issues especially during panning no matter what player I used.
After enabling post processing with the tvtime deinterlace plugin in xine,
all those issues went away and my DVD playback always looks simply amazing.
The command I have set up for DVD playback is:

xine --post tvtime -pfhq dvd:/%d

...and for the file types VIDEO_TS, iso, and img:

xine --post tvtime -pfhq dvd:/%s

Then, in my /home/mythtv/.xine/config file I have:

...which sets the deinterlace method to GreedyH and leaves all other options
at the defaults, which apparently are:

The only place I've seen those options documented thoroughly is in the gui
of gxine, which I find pretty odd.  Anyway...the DVD playback I get with
that output at 1080i to my TV (a Hitachi RC CRT) is noticably better than
any DVD player I've owned.

A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here.