[mythtv-users] Myth on AppleTV

Neil Raymond neil_raymond at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 17:42:45 UTC 2007

a few answers below, but not very helpful ones i'm afraid. i'll try and have
a play on my appletv later to see if there's anything i can think of that i
might have missed.

>here is what I get when I mythfrontend
>without sudo:
>/Applications/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
>kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session
>allowed for root and console user only
>INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the
>WindowServer.Abort trap

i'm sure i never had to use sudo to get it to work, i'm not sure why that
would be different.

>with sudo:
>-bash-2.05b$ sudo
>/Applications/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
>
>Password:
>2007-08-08 17:01:06.990 Using runtime prefix =
>/Applications/MythFrontend.app/Contents/Resources
>2007-08-08 17:01:07.250 New DB connection, total: 1
>2007-08-08 17:01:07.311 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host:
>192.168.3.60
>2007-08-08 17:01:07.345 Total desktop dim: 720x480, with 1 screen[s].
>2007-08-08 17:01:07.454 Using screen 0, 720x480 at 0,0
>Bus error

i definitely never saw this bus error either. one thing that is definitely
different is the screen resolution. are you using the hdmi or the component
out? i'm not sure if this would make a difference however.

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > After I disable watchdog it started to reboot every few minutes
> >

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strange. have you checked that the ripstop.plist file has been moved and
rc.local has the correct entries? it's also probably worth checking the page
that I've linked to (http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Watchdog) to make sure
to see if any one else has had trouble.

> > why do I have to add sudo infornt of everyline I copied and you don't
>have
> > that in your howto. Did I miss someting?

either i used su and forgot to mention that, or i just forgot to put the
sudos in. i mentioned at the start of the howto that i hadn't rerun the
procedure command by command, so i probably just missed it out.

> > I had to run repair and then restart again

sometimes i got an unusual screen come up after a reboot (the one that has a
menu with repair and run diagnostics or something like that). i always found
that i could select run diagnostics, wait for it to complete successfully,
and then reboot. i neve had to do a repair.

> > edit ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt with the correct ip address of my mythtv box
>for
> > the hostname
> > run mythfrontend - it seems to start but end with a bus error
> >
> > it is still rebooting every couple of minutes and every other time I
>have
> > to restart with the  - & menu buttons on the remote and then run repair
>and
> > restart again.
> >
> > I haven't got past this.

having written all of the above, one other thing has just occurred to me.
have you changed the finder app to Mythfrontend? if you have then this could
be why it's rebooting (because myth isn't starting properly). try this to
see if it still restarts:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Finder
/System/Library/ColorSync/Calibrators/Display\ Calibrator.app