[mythtv-users] Program Guide locking up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 11 15:57:48 UTC 2007

On 08/11/2007 11:46 AM, Paul van Gerven wrote:
> Sorry if this issue has been raised before, but I could not find a way
> to search the archives, nor did googling or posting on relevant forums
> get me anywhere.
> Mythtv is working fine, except for one major annoyance. When I call the
> program guide while watching live TV, I cannot move around in it using
> the 'cursor keys' on the remote. Instead, I can make exactly one move
> (i.e. either up, down or right) and then the guide becomes completely
> unresponsive, although the preview keeps running. The only key that
> keeps working is the one I assigned to 'quit' so I can go back to
> watching LiveTV.

Focus issue.  Yes, it really is a focus issue.  Often caused by a) not
using a window manager, b) using an improperly configured window
manager, c) using multi-head displays, or d) external programs (like
xine--although xine, specifically, has been fixed so it no longer causes
this behavior).  See the thread at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/82722#82722 for more
details and a workaround (hack).

> Something similar happens when I try to quit MythTV altogether. When
> asked for confirmation I cannot switch between yes or no. The only thing
> I can do is press quit to return to the main menu.

Funny.  The exact same two examples I gave.

> I should also mention that this error does not kick in immediately after
> I start the frontend. Once or twice, the guide works fine, and only then
> the lock up problem surfaces. If quit the frontend point and restart,
> the error persist. If I reboot, I can fully browse the guide once or
> twice again.

Right.  It only happens after something else takes focus from Myth.
I.e. you manually switch focus, your Window Manager gives something else
focus, you do some work on the other (non-Myth) display of your
multi-head display, you start the external program.  The problem is that
focus isn't properly restored to Myth afterwards.