[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:55:04 UTC 2007

>From: Brian Wood
>
>I'm not sure how they are going to measure trhe piracy rates,

Yea, that was the part that bothers me.  There simply isn't any way they
could measure the affect.  What's more this is coming from an industry
that's been pretending for years to be able to accurately measure the affect
of piracy when anyone with a brain knows they can't.  I heard an RIAA
spokesman on the radio once spewing _exact_ numbers like "for every song
downloaded legally on iTunes there are nnnn.nnn songs pirated, and for every
CD purchased legally there are nnnnn.nnn..."...you get the idea.  I almost
fell out off my chair.  Yea...their sucessfully monitoring the entire
internet now...how stupid do these people think we are?  Not to mention
that, even if they knew this, they can't truly know how much of that
resulted in any lost sales.

I hope this isn't just a setup to say "we tried it and it didn't work".  If
not, I'd definately commend them for bucking the DRM trend and would
actually like to support it.  From the article however, I don't see any
Linux compatible options to actually buy songs for $.99 in there at all.  I
think Bestbuy and Walmart are IE only and Amazon doesn't even do any of this
yet.  RealNetworks Rhapsody appears to be subscriotion only (and I wouldn't
go with 10000 miles of that add-ware ridden sack of s*** company anyway).

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Tom