Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 9 18:57:31 UTC 2007

On 08/09/2007 02:46 PM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> the last time I
> re-scanned channels, Myth had a horrible time with my PBS station's
> ATSC feed.  It found a 4-100 channel which does not seem to be seen by
> my TV's tuner (and missed one of the normal subchannels).  I was
> wondering if there was a way to tell if that's what that channel was.
> It seems to be content-free from a picture standpoint.

Are you talking about digital TV?  If so, that's completely different
and you probably want to use something like dvbsnoop to explore the
streams.  The VBI data is encoded into the "picture" of an analog signal.

> What command line tools will show the vbi data?

If ivtv, there's a tool that comes with the package (see the README's
and ).  If a framegrabber, there are many other tools.  If you're trying
to see VBI data from a digital TV recording in Myth, using
mythfrontend's -v vbi option may be the easiest way.

Mike