Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Thu Aug 9 18:46:15 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean [mtdean at thirdcontact.com] wrote:
> On 08/09/2007 09:03 AM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > David Shay [david at shay.net] wrote:

> >> Yes, this is what powers the TV Guide on Screen service in some
> >> VCR's/DVR's.  This data comes from Gemstar and is redistributed by
> >> local PBS stations typically.  Unfortunately, this data is encrypted,
> >> and to get the keys/data formats, you must acquire a license from
> >> Gemstar.
> > Is there any way to view the encrypted data stream with
> > an ATSC tuner card?
>
> I'm sure you're just interested in seeing if it's there, but in case
> someone else gets ideas, I think it should be said:

Indeed.  Indeed...  I was mainly interested because the last time I
re-scanned channels, Myth had a horrible time with my PBS station's
ATSC feed.  It found a 4-100 channel which does not seem to be seen by
my TV's tuner (and missed one of the normal subchannels).  I was
wondering if there was a way to tell if that's what that channel was.
It seems to be content-free from a picture standpoint.

What command line tools will show the vbi data?

> And, considering this is in the US, you may want to review the DMCA.

I think you meant to say ".. repeal the DMCA" :)

Drew