[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct Announces Initial Pricing

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:54:01 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Gavin Haslett <gavin at nodecaf.net> wrote:
> On 8/9/07 12:10 PM, "Chris Petersen" <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > Our charter says that any additional funds will be given back to the OSS
> > community, too..  Either directly to MythTV/XMLTV (and other FOSS
> > projects that use SD), or to the EFF or another similar organization.
>
> See, me personally I'd rather continue to pay the $20 per year after the
> initial "charged beta" version and have that money put into full-on
> "commercial" development of MythTV. It's a kick-ass product today, I can say
> that quite definitely... But with a solid and consistent income funding
> further development I can only imagine where it could go.
>
> I'd still want to see it remain open-source though :)

MythTV will always be GPL.  With so many contributers they wouldn't be
able to get copyright from all of the devs over the years in order to
close the source.  And if they did, it would just be forked anyway.

I don't think anyone wants to close the source anyway.

Schedules Direct will likely help systems resellers as well.  Being
able to sell a product where you have confidence in the listing data
is good.  And the more integrators of MythTV there are the better, as
they will help polish the product and hopefully submit their patches
to MythTV.