[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct Announces Initial Pricing

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Aug 9 17:13:06 UTC 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 9:38 AM, John Arkoian wrote:

> I understand most of you will say this is for licensing the data
> from the
> agregator... but come on folks, it is just data agregation.  So who
> wants to
> quit their day job and start agregating publically available data
> for 1.3
> million a year?  Heck, we won't be greedy... what about 1.0
> million.  Any
> takers?

I very much doubt one person could aggregate all that data, even if
you paid them $1.3 million.  And you'll need people to call up the
stations and ask why you're not getting data from them, and to help
with technical issues, and... pretty soon you've got a couple dozen
employees, a building lease, a health insurance plan, and a server
farm to take care of.  $1.3 million isn't looking like all that much
money anymore.

I know the numbers sound big, and I feel awkward defending TMS, but
you've got to contemplate the scale of what they're doing.