Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Aug 8 22:44:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 12:02 -0700, Robert Current wrote:
> And, honestly, if it IS a commercial product that is misusing the
> data, why don't we all want to know about it?  If someone is out there
> selling something that's based on data not rightfully obtained,
> shouldn't honest people be told to avoid it?

I would assume that if a commercial vendor is selling something
that uses the Labs data illegitimately, TMS wouldn't want to tell
the world who they are right away, but instead contact them
privately and get them to sign on the dotted line or face the
consequence of a lawsuit which makes the Labs abuse public which
would undoubtedly scare off the commercial vendor's potential
investors and expose vendor to lawsuits from existing investors.
I have no idea why they keep this secret, but that's one scenario
I can imagine after a few seconds of thought.

When you think abuse don't think "My cousin Wilma got $50 from
her dad for setting up his MythTV box." Think "Fortune 500
company cuts corners, steals from charitable operation.", or
"Venture Fund funds Widget Express*, Widget Express can deliver
service at the fraction of the cost their competitors."
 * Widget Express is intended to be fictional, if this
   company exists, I apologise.

-- Daniel