[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Wed Aug 8 16:19:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:00:48 -0700
David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Braindead wrote:
> > If you knew what I know about Automated Clearing House (ACH)
> > transfers, the people involved in the process and the serious lack
> > of security, you would think twice about allowing anyone to make
> > ACH transfers from your accounts.  And that's how PayPal (and as
> > far as I know everybody) tranfers funds to/from your account.
>
> IF you tie your Paypal account to your checking account.  AFAIK you
> can still just give them a credit card number.

As I said in another email, I don't trust PayPal at all.  I had problems, lost money and their response was basically 'tough'.  So I will not use them, period.

> The ACH system is totally broken and insecure, but it existed long
> before Paypal.  It's not their fault.

Indeed it is, and as far as I know any fraud that happens has been largely ignored so there's no pressure to fix it.  One system I worked on (consulting for a large Southern California utility) transferred roughly $6million per day.. It took me 3 weeks to get $3000 out of them for a decent backup and failure setup....  There's just no financial incentive to improve the security.