[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote

David Segall david at segall.net
Wed Aug 8 15:28:45 UTC 2007

Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 8/7/07, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
>> I also have a Harmony remote but choosing the optimum configuration for
>> MythTV is a real challenge. It is clear from the "real" devices I have
>> programmed it to talk to there is a wide range in its ability to emulate
>> them. Similarly, the sample lirc files indicate a wide range in their
>> ability to listen to various remotes. The search for the best lirc
>> configuration to listen to the best Harmony emulation is too big for a
>> human and I can't see how to apply a computer to the task.
>
> I too have a Harmony (550 I think), and have wondered the same thing
> for a while.  I currently have mine configured as a Hauppauge, but
> have run out of buttons for some of the useful functions I would like
> to include.  The key is finding a good remote (or even IR keyboard!)
> emulation that has lots of buttons (earlier in the thread someone
> mentioned the Sky Navigator?).  But for example in my situation, I am
> actually using the Hauppauge receiver too, which doesn't listen to a
> whole lot of codes.
Are you sure this last sentence is true? My understanding was that the
IR receivers just pass the signals they receive to the computer and the
magic numbers in /etc/lircd.conf allows the lirc daemon to identify
which remote button has been pressed.

 > So I'm limited until I pony up for a new
> receiver,
Before you do this please test your receiver by programming your Harmony
as a different remote and using the corresponding /etc/lircd.conf.
Please post the results here. I think that many readers would be
interested if the Hauppauge receiver is not a "universal" receiver.