Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:34:55 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:10, John Drescher wrote:
> An example would be my situation: I have a program called EyeTV, which I paid
> for. It gets listings from TitanTV (who apparently gets the information from
> TMS).
>
> When TMS made their announcement I thought about using the Titan info for
> MythTV, so I looked at the license I agreed to by using the software (and I
> don't want to get into the enforceability of "click through" or "break seal"
> licenses).
>
> Although written in the best legalese, it seems to say that I can only use the
> information with the software it came bundled with, thus using it for Myth
> would violate the license.
>
> Granted, if I did use it for Myth, I doubt I would get "caught" or penalized
> in any way, but I feel I did agree to the license and I will abide by the
> terms. Even if I did not distribute the data, using it in violation if the
> license terms is "wrong", IMHO.

I considered this too...  Well, there is another way to look at this
too.... Hauppauge and Nvidia among many other hardware providers are
somehow partnered with TitanTV.  And when buying the hardware
products, they advertise use of the listing data.  I have an account
there that was registered with hardware....  and that hardware is now
in my MythTV system.

I actually find TitanTV's full listing of stuff like PPV data is nice
to see, as those are all blacked out of the Zap2it data.  However, I'm
not sure what the option would work out like, never tried it...