Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:05:56 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> I don't know if they can legally claim copyright protection, but they
> can certainly say, "here are the terms under which we'll give you
> access to the data we've gathered.  If you don't like them, you'll
> have to get it somewhere else."  That's just them choosing who they
> want to do business with, which is pretty well established as their
> right under contract law.

I guess I'm thinking more generally and long term, not just practical
and by the deadline of this cut-off.  TMS and Zap2it, and pay services
seem to be the only options I've seen discussed, short or long term...
 And I was wondering why when the subject of "free" comes up, it seems
like every seems to jump on the "it's unethical" or "it's illegal"
bandwagon.  It just wasn't clear to me.

Say, xmltv gets popular and widely accepted in a year or two due to
popularity of Media Center PCs...  And assuming that every TV station
that broadcasts has a website, might they not all have a
hxxp://www.tvstationid.com/xmltv freely available?

So, in a case like that, it'd be very easy to grab that data, and
should (I'd think) be legal, no?

Is there any long-term project that might end the need to pay for a
subscription?  Or is that just proposing an unethical and illegal
solution?